Monday, February 6, 2017

Day 6 Our Automatic...Instamatic...Want it Now...Get it Now...lives!



I keep thinking about the Original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Brat Girl singing, "I want it now!" Well, you can get anything NOW! The 1950's are eye opening when it comes to wait...plan...timing. 
My Weekend was Filled with baking on Saturday and cooking a few snacks to bring to the Super Bowl Party on Sunday. When I was making Blueberry Corn Muffins the recipe said 1 cup warm milk and 2 T. soft butter. Added the butter to the milk...stuffed it in the Microwave for 30 seconds...done. 



Another time I needed some heated for cooking...opened the microwave stuffed it in...done. On the way back to the stove...I stopped cold. I looked at my daughter and said, "I just used the microwave twice and didn't even realize I was doing it" It is so normal to not have to think about taking something out to thaw, or get to "room temperature" ahead of time. We don't need to plan quite the same way. (I am putting a sign on the microwave..."not the 50's") But later that morning my daughter was making tea...I boiled water on the stove. I got hungry and pulled out the Vegetable Lasagna. My daughter grabbed a piece stuck it in the microwave and I just looked at the pan in defeat. I turned on the oven, stuck my piece in and waited 30 minutes for it to heat up. Sunday Morning My daughter grabbed a muffin...plopped it in the Microwave...spread butter that melted beautifully and I looked at my cold muffin waffling between cheating again, but this time fully aware...But remembered that when I was a kid, I used to cut the muffin in half, butter both sides and stick the butter side down in a frying pan and grill the muffin. This was a trick I picked up at a diner who used to offer up these grilled yummy muffins. Delicious!! Better than instant microwave which at times turns bread products to leather.
 I know many have said that they don't use a microwave...but I am addicted to the thing and use it more than I realized. 


SuperBowl!



I have done well staying away from modern life for the most part and then came the anomaly of daily life called "The Super Bowl"! We live an hour north of Atlanta so this was a big deal. I haven't been cooking standard 50s fare anyway (that may make an appearance later this month) so made California Rolls Sushi and Vegetable sandwich wraps with seasoned Avocado spread, with roasted red peppers and roasted garlic then added. Lettuce, grated carrots, tomatoes, and thinly sliced cucumbers on a Spinach wrap...so yummy and looked pretty too.  If anyone watched this game...the 1st half was all Atlanta and I ended up throwing everything 50s to the side looking at the responses on twitter...even tweeted once. And yes, I was rebuked by my girls. The second half...I didn't even want to watch the TV let alone what was being written by anyone on twitter. ugh!  Sad Disappointment!

Okay, so plans for the day...Housework! and Clam Chowder for Dinner. Hopefully an Antique shop to find a Coffee Maker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment