I’m Growing Ginger!!!




 We use a lot of ginger and it isn’t crazy expensive but I like to learn to grow anything I can, myself. Sooo, last month shopping at H Mart I saw some ginger that had rounded areas on it that looked like “buds” that I have been seeing on every YouTube  video and blog about growing it so took it home with hopes that THIS TIME I would be successful! Yes, I have tried before but like all my failures, didn’t learn what makes this grow… no matter how much I researched online. And the difference this time was… drumroll 🥁 please… it sprouts at 85 degrees!! EIGHTY-FIVE!!! So, seeing as sprouting doesn’t need light I took out my trusty heat mat, set it for 85, stuck the prong in the soil that regulates it and waited. I confess I am not a great at waiting and took a peak 2 weeks in and saw the buds were pulling and turning green!! Yay! Took a few more weeks for the green to pop thru the soil… Yay! How to get to this stage Instructions below


See all the little sprouts coming up on the right side? Nothing on the left yet, put each one of these will be cut from the mail ginger tuber and planted separately just like you would the sprouted eye of a potato


Look how big and great! First I soaked my ginger in water- NOT TAP WATER WITH ALL THOSE CHEMICAL AND CHLORINE- for about 2-2 1/2 days. I took a plastic tray and filled with potting soil and made damp throughout… not soggy wet. But damp/wet. Snuggled the ginger a bit into the soil and lightly spread soil on top.



See… I brushed so soil away so you can see I had about a 1/2 inch covering it. I covered it with the bottom of a plastic tub you would fill with left overs…anything that helps keep the moisture in. I just kept it moist and Voila- sprouts. My next step is to plant outside during our heat wave in a clay/terracotta pot. I pan on getting a 14” wide diameter and 16” deep. 
I need something I can bring in the house during winter as it takes at least 8 months to produce and go back outside when it’s warm. Once established I can cut as I need it and let the rest grow. So ginger will cost me ZERO in the future! 

Comments