Tuesday, February 14, 2017

1950's Retro Diet and Exercise Crazy? Week 2 Day 14


Boy, was I born in the wrong Era!!!


  I was looking at a Good Housekeeping Magazine from August 1957 and on the cover is this perk to buy this magazine...so of course that got me curious as I was getting ready to go to the gym myself.

Basically The diet was doing exercises, naked, with towels soaked in ice water as it was an August edition. LOL And the menu plan for the week was questionable at best in my opinion. 
 I also found an old Met life ad about reducing your weight to prevent health problems Titled "Cheers for Chubby"...they knew back then that it was an issue and still we are heavier than ever. 

Bottom Line...we eat too much and too much of the wrong things. We have to admit that! The new "Love Your Body" initiative is as dangerous as the "Starve yourself to death"...literally! How about..."If you truly Love Your Body...you will take care of It" I try to eat well and exercise. I AM overweight! I was raised with excuses and took up where my Mom left off. Basically sabotaging myself for decades.
    Jack Lalane, who had it right,
 started his TV Exercise show in the 50's. They thought it was going to be a complete failure but instead it started a revolution of being aware of what was going on with our bodies. That all the time saving devices were making us sit a heck of a lot more and with all that extra time, what were we doing? Sitting in front of the TV eating. 50's TV Dinners and TV Trays promoted it!
  This is a bad thing about the 50's. I haven't discovered many things that were an absolute negative, but the way we ate and sat is definitely one. I figure at almost 60 I have little time to get to my Goal weight as I have promised myself forever and plan on getting there by my birthday in June. Most days I do alright...except when I have a Smooth Talking Chocolate Buttercream Cake calling me from the kitchen. Oh... to be able to silence the voices. 

3 comments: